Friday, September 25, 2009

Back to School Night

"I learned that making a lot of desserts for a lot of people can be fun." - 3rd period student

It was a crazy week. Only 4-6 weeks into school and all the gears are running full speed ahead, you can see the stress in people eyes as they wonder to themselves if they are keeping up and if others know they are behind. I wonder if I have the very same look in my eyes. For me, "When in doubt, cook it out" has been one of the more healing ways to combat stress. Getting ready for the back to school night dinner became more of an invigorator - I feel better today than I have all week.

The students made all the desserts - and the parents last night LOVED it. Today my students were more subtle about asking how it went than I expected - some didn't believe the cheers we got. But hearing from the students who were at the event helped everyone realize I wasn't lying. Here is what we offered:

Chocolate Picnic Cake
Brown Sugar Oatmeal Bread
Vegan Banana Coconut Cake
Apple Tart
Strawberry Tart with Cream Cheese Filling
Lemon Custard Tart

Next? Hard to say, but now that they have conquered dessert, I'd like to get into World Cooking...

No comments:

Post a Comment