Friday, September 11, 2009

Week 3: Empanadas & Tasting Apples


We wanted to cook so much this week. We started Monday with making the empanada dough (thank you Edible Schoolyard for the recipe) and then we worked on two vegetarian fillings:

Sweet Potato with Onions & Herbs

Chard with Roasted Corn & Garlic

Wednesday's Tasting? Apples & Asian Pears - they wanted to add salt and compare, I was glad for the input. I cooked some of the apples - most students did not like them, but it may have been because I used just butter and a cast iron pan. Look at me, I'm trying to teach the ability to describe the flavor and I'm concerned with whether they like what we make or not.

Thursday, empanada completion. They took all of them before I had a chance to say "wait." This sense of entitlement & ownership takes on an odd shape. Pride in work and accomplishment: good. Mine: bad. How to we get into the "pride in work" arena and out of "mine?"

And then it was Friday? Sushi & "7up" cup cakes - although we used sparkling pear juice instead. They loved making the sushi and most of them ate it up. It was fun to get their attention and interesting to notice more ability to take direction than they showed earlier in the week. It ebbs & flows and we are still trying to establish a rhythm.

No comments:

Post a Comment